This page provides a table of contents of PDF documents available for download from this site. For a table of contents of posts and pages related to media production available on this site, visit the Reference pages and resource guides page. If have any questions or need help finding a resource, contact me. — David Tamés.
Handouts – Production and Editing
- Lighting and exposure notes, PDF
- A collection of notes covering lighting considerations for documentary productions with or without lighting gear.
- Notes on the Interview, PDF
- A collection of notes that have been gathered over many years of shooting
- Notes on Montage and Classic Continuity, PDF
- Some history and guidelines for implementing classical continuity in your films
- Shooting Guidelines, PDF
- Some suggestions of what to keep in mind when shooting observational and b-roll footage for your documentary productions. This document is also available in a slightly different form as a webpage: Twelve essential documentary shooting guidelines.
- Some Notes on Sound Recording, PDF
- A collection of notes covering the fundamentals of location sound recording for documentary productions.
- Release Forms, PDF
- What every documentary maker should know about release forms, this is a PDF version of the Release forms for documentary productions page
Handouts – Gear
- Zoom H4n Quick Start, PDF
- Step by step guide to configuring and using the Zoom H4n recorder with the built-in microphone, an external mono microphone, or an external stereo microphone
- Audio-Technica BP-4029 MS Stereo Microphone, PDF
- Everything you need to know about this microphone, see also Is the Audio-Technica BP4029 the perfect cinéma-vérite microphone?
- Some Notes on Balancing, Configuring, and Operating the Ronin-SC Gimbal, PDF
- Notes gathered from using and teaching the use of the Ronin-SC including links to the most useful tutorial videos
- Notes on Camera Fundamentals
- Covers the fundamentals including focus, aperture, focal length, depth of field, ISO, exposure, white balance, and two versions of the exposure triangle: one for photography and another for video
- Notes on the Panasonic GH4
- Covers the basic operation of the Panasonic GH4 as a video camera with configuration suggestions along with a ten-step shooting guide
- Notes on the Sony a7iii
- Coming soon, in the meantime, take a look at the slide deck below
- From interaction to immersion: how XR transforms media design, PDF
- Guest Lecture in JRNL 3610 Digital Storytelling and Social Media, Professor John P. Wihbey, Northeastern University, February 25, 2020
- Sony a7iii workshop slides, PDF
- Slides used in the camera workshop in my Video Basics class, the original Keynote document is available upon request
- Location Sound Kit workshop slides, PDF
- Slides used in the location sound workshop in my Video Basics class, the original Keynote document is available upon request
- Advanced Location Sound Kit workshop slides, PDF, coming soon!
- Camera Report, PDF
- Sound Report, PDF
- Appearance Release, PDF
- Minor Appearance Release, PDF
- Material Release, PDF
- Location Release, PDF
If a document does not have a copyright notice, consider it in the public domain. Some of these documents are shared under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0) license with the exclusion of copyrighted images that may appear in these materials under Fair Use guidelines. You are welcome to create derivative works. To cite any of these documents or acknowledge their use, please attribute using something along the lines of: “name-of-document” by David Tamés, Kino-Eye.com, https://kino-eye.com/documents/
Original source documents
The original source documents are available for some of the items listed above, to request a copy of a source document, get in touch with me using the contact form and let me know what you would like to do with it. I’m also interested in collaborating on updates and derivative works.