Many of the most important issues facing our society are also those that powerful people or institutions don’t want made public. Documentary filmmakers who tell truth to power often face aggressive attacks from powerful individuals, organizations, businesses, governmental agencies, and industry … Continue reading...
Most Recent Posts
I'm often asked by my students what's a good sound recording starter kit that provides the most bang for the buck on a tight budget. In response to this question, I've assembled the following kits based on gear I've purchased and used myself. While I often prefer to use bulkier, higher-performance … Continue reading...
On a professional documentary production, obtaining proper written permissions is the responsibility of the producer and can prevent complicated problems down the line in the event the project is licensed for broadcast or distribution. The four most common release forms used in documentary … Continue reading...
Hollow (requires Google Chrome) is an interactive documentary and community participatory project that examines the future of rural America through … Continue reading...
Rebel: Loreta Velazquez, secret soldier of the American Civil War is a new documentary by María Agui Carter that tells the story of a woman who has … Continue reading...
- UnknownSpring: web documentary review and interview with photojournalist Jake Price
- Whitney Dow: When the Drum is Beating
- Chris Paine: Revenge of the Electric Car
- Tom Robotham talks about his Blender LED light
- Interview with David Redmon and Ashley Sabin about Intimidad
- Scott Kirsner: Inventing the Movies
This post is a follow-up to the "Final Cut Pro X for Final Cut Pro 7 Editors" workshop I did at Boston Neighborhood Network on Saturday, December 13, … Continue reading...
In an ideal world I'd have a ninja-class boom operator with me on all of my documentary shoots, but short of that I usually place a wireless lavaliere … Continue reading...
More featured posts
- Is the Audio-Technica BP4029 the perfect cinéma-vérité microphone?
- Four approaches to structuring micro-documentaries
- 10 reasons why making documentaries is better than making fiction films
- New Forms / New Opportunities Panel (Sarah Wolozin & Natasha Giraudie)
- Reflections on Paul Sharits frozen film frames
- Smartphone Shorts (follow-up notes)